Monday, May 14, 2007

Burning a Hole Through the Seattle Freeze with Poetry

Sunday 29 April 2007
INSTIGATION #1


FIRE AND ICE

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

--Robert Frost

INSTIGATIONS

As my project winds down, I've started to organize some "instigations" to celebrate. For "Burning a Hole through the Seattle Freeze with Poetry," I took a blow torch to a 300 lb block of ice. Once I'd melted a hole through it, I read "Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost to people on the other side. It was a curious and beautiful object.

Instigation #1 succeeded in bringing people together and incorporating poetry into something visually fascinating. Working with ice was surprisingly alluring and addictive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home